Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
This cranberry swirl bread just screams Christmas. The perfect afternoon treat with a sweet yet tart and tangy centre and dusted with icing sugar. If there’s any leftover the following day, pop a slice in the toaster and serve with lashings of butter. This may become a breakfast staple over the Christmas period!
Cranberry swirl bread
- 70g sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 packet yeast
- 450g bread flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 75g butter
- 200g cranberries
- 50g packed brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Sugared or fresh cranberries (optional)
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the hook attachment, mix the sugar, flour, yeast and salt and 130g of the flour.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the milk and water. Allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add the liquid to the sugar and flour mix and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add the remaining flour, approx. 100g at a time.
- Knead until a smooth dough forms. If the dough is too sticky add a bit more flour, if it’s too dry, add a bit of olive oil.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise in a warm space for approx. 1 hour until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, place the cranberries, sugar and water into a saucepan and allow to simmer for 10 mins until thick.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and lemon juice, mix in and allow to cool.
- Punch down the dough and, on a lightly floured surface, roll into a 25cm x 50cm rectangle.
- Starting from the short side, tightly roll up, pinching the edges as you go.
- With the seam at the bottom, carefully cut lengthways all the way through.
- Braid the dough carefully and transfer to a lightly greased loaf pan.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise for 30-40 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and decorate with fresh or sugared cranberries.