Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Turkey is traditional on Christmas Day but unless you’re feeding a large number of people, a lot of it goes to waste. How long could you possibly eat leftovers for? If your family gathering is small this festive season, try going for a different type of bird with a festive flair. Roast duck is deliciously moist and gets its festive flair rom the rum and pomegranate.
Rum and pomegranate roast duck with walnut and apple stuffing
- 1 whole duck
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 whole sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- ½ cup spiced rum
Walnut and apple stuffing
- 1 large baguette, cut into small chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 150g pancetta, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 apples, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 200g walnuts
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup spiced rum
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove giblets from the cavity of the duck and reserve for use in another recipe.
- Pat the duck dry and cut off any excess skin and the tips of the wings to prevent burning.
- Score the fat on the breast of the duck making sure to go all the way down to the meat.
- Add the chopped rosemary, orange zest, salt and pepper to a pestle and mortar and grind until the paste is a little wet.
- Rub the duck with the paste and put in a baking tray.
- In a separate bowl mix together the orange juice, pomegranate juice and rum and pour over the duck, filling the bottom of the try by about 2cm. Add more juice if necessary.
- Place the rosemary sprigs in the bottom of the pan.
- Roast in the oven for 2 hours 30 mins basting with liquid every 15-20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and cover loosely with foil to rest.
- To make the stuffing, put the bread cubes in a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 10 mins until toasted and set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, gently fry the pancetta until crispy on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onion and apples in the remaining pancetta fat until translucent – approx. 10 mins.
- Stir in the rosemary and walnuts and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, chicken stock and spiced rum.
- Add the bread cubes and mix until coated.
- Add to the apple and walnut mixture and stir through.
- Place in a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 35 mins until crispy on the top.
- Place the stuffing around a large dish with the roasted duck in the centre.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and rosemary sprigs and serve immediately.