Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
This salad is great with salmon, beef or on its own as a light snack – perfect for those Monday blues when your digestive system needs a little TLC.
JAPANESE TEA LEAF SALAD ON STICKY RICE
- 2 tbsp gyokuro or green tea leaves
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ sesame oil
- Short grain rice
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Boil the short grain rice in salted water.
- Steep the tea leaves in boiling water for 1 – 2 mins.
- Drain (reserving the tea to drink) and steep again for 30 seconds and drain again.
- Place the tea leaves in a mixing bowl and add the rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil and mix well.
- Place the tea leaves on top of the rice and garnish with sesame seeds.