Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Local peaches are wonderful even if you’re eating them just as nature intended while leaning over the kitchen sink. With a little bit of help they make they make the most wonderful ice lollies that are the perfect antidote for the summer heat. If you don’t have an ice lolly mould you could make them in empty yoghurt cups.
SPICED PEACH AND YOUGHURT ICE LOLLIES
- 3 large peaches
- 1-inch piece ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups full fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the peaches in a heatproof bowl and fill it to the top with boiling water.
- After 30 seconds the skin will split. Drain the water and peel the peaches.
- Slice the peaches and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with the minced ginger, cinnamon, chilli flakes and salt.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool whilst you mix the yoghurt and the honey.
- Place a little bit of yoghurt into an ice lolly mould (if you don’t have an ice lolly mould, use empty yoghurt cups).
- Add a few peach slices and push down with a spoon.
- Add more yoghurt and more peaches until the moulds are all full.
- Place a wooden stick into the centre and freeze overnight.
- To remove from the mould, run some warm water over the mould and wiggle the ice lollies out of the mould.
- Serve immediately.