Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
This is the perfect mid-week winter meal. It is nutritious and deeply comforting whilst also keeping out the cold. What’s more is that it’s great for tight budgets (especially those related to the end of January) and can be ready in half an hour. With exception of the fresh spinach, the ingredients are likely to be in your pantry already, so you don’t even have to shop! Perfect for the mid-week rush. It heats up beautifully the next day so make a large pot and enjoy over the next few days. This recipe ticks so many boxes we certainly know what we will be eating this week!
White bean, spinach and bacon soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tins cannellini beans
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 10 rasher streaky bacon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Heat the olive oil and add the garlic, celery, carrot and onion and saute until translucent (approx. 10 mins).
- Add the bacon bits, chilli and rosemary sprigs and fry for a few more mins.
- Add the stock and the beans along with the water from one tin only.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add handfuls of the spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Add the lemon juice, stir through and serve with plenty of crusty bread.