By Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
This is a really easy dish to prepare making it a great mid-week meal. Completely vegetarian (vegan if you leave out the Greek yoghurt in the dressing), this is great for meat-free Mondays or any day of the week you feel like going lighter.
Za’atar roasted aubergines with lentils and tahini dressing
- 100g puy lentils
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Handful parsley, roughly chopped
- Handful dill, roughly chopped
- ¼ pomegranate, seeds only
- 1 tub Greek yoghurt (175ml)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk. Set aside.
- Place the finely diced onion and the raisins into a small bowl with the vinegar and allow to marinate until the aubergines cook.
- Boil the puy lentils in salted boiling water for 20 mins until tender, drain and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, cut the aubergines into large wedges.
- Toss is za’atar, olive oil, salt and pepper and place into a baking tray.
- Smash the garlic cloves, leaving them in their skin and add to the baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 mins until tender.
- Remove from the oven and add the lentils and the onion mixture to the baking tray and toss.
- Add the chopped herbs and mix.
- Divide into serving plates, top with pomegranate seeds and tahini dressing and serve.