Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Ready in 20 minutes, these noodles with miso aubergines are the perfect comfort food when you’re in a hurry. Use buckwheat soba noodles to make this a vegan option, whilst also checking that your miso paste is vegan friendly.
Egg noodles with miso aubergines
- 1 large aubergine, roughly diced
- 50g fresh miso paste
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 cup water, as needed
- 150g egg noodles
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- ½ red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Handful coriander
- Fry the aubergines in a little bit of oil for 5 – 8 mins until soft.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ginger, sesame oil, sugar, mirin and rice vinegar.
- Add to the pan and cook for a few mins.
- Add as much water as you need to make the sauce smooth and creamy. Quantity will depend on the dryness of the miso paste.
- Boil the noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and toss in the miso aubergines.
- Place in serving bowls and garnish with spring onions, red chilli, coriander and black sesame seeds.