Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Recipe first appeared in Foodist
The strawberries on the veggie trucks make it feel all the more like spring, even though we’ve only just made it into March. While we usually reserve these luscious berries for dessert, they make a great addition to a number of savoury items. Try them with cheese, white meats and even fish and brighten up your everyday dinner.
Oven-roasted strawberry and brie toastie
- 8 large strawberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices Maltese bread
- 150g brie
- 25g butter
- A few fresh basil leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and hull the strawberries and arrange on a baking sheet in one layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 mins until the strawberries are soft and fragrant.
- Lightly toast the Maltese bread and butter each slice on both sides.
- Cut the brie into slices and layer onto one half of each sandwich.
- Add the strawberries and fresh basil leaves and season with more salt and pepper.
- Cover with the remaining slice of bread. In a hot griddle pan, toast the sandwiches for approx. 2 mins on each side placing a side plate on top of the toastie for a bit of weight. This will crush the strawberries into the melted cheese.
- Slice the toasties in half and serve immediately with a few torn basil leaves.