Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Tagliatelle with Mediterranean prawns and zucchini flowers
- 500g tagliatelle
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 zucchinis, cut into matchsticks
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Handful zucchini flowers, cut in half
- 2 tbsp prawn stock
- 1 cup dry white wine (more for drinking while cooking)
- 600g peeled prawns
- Boil the pasta in salted water for 2 mins less than the packet instructions (you’ll finish cooking in the pan).
- Meanwhile heat some olive oil in a pan and gently sautee the garlic, taking care not to let it burn.
- Add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper, chilli flakes and lemon zest.
- Cook for a few mins until the zucchini is starting to soften.
- Add half the zucchini flowers and the wine.
- Allow to simmer for a few mins until the alcohol cooks off.
- Add the stock and simmer for a few more mins.
- When the pasta is two minutes before ready, transfer to the pan using tongs (this will take some of the pasta water into the pan).
- Add another half a cup of water from the pot into the pan and cook, tossing all the time.
- Add the prawns and remaining zucchini flowers and cook until the prawns turn pink – take care not to over-cook them.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the top and toss.
- Place in a serving bowl and serve immediately. Remember, people can wait for pasta but pasta won’t wait for people!