By Pippa Mattei
Photo by Ray Attard
Lemons from Pippa’s tree make the perfect ingredients for her lemon tart, best enjoyed with a dollop of crème fraîche, under the shade of a tree in the garden
Pippa’s lemon tart
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 120g cold, unsalted butter, cut into 2cm pieces
- 6 tbsp cold lard, cut into 2cm pieces
- 6 tbsp very cold water
- 6 – 8 lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 200ml fresh cream
- Icing sugar
- Crème fraîche
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Add the pieces of butter and lard and toss to coat with flour.
- Using two knives, cut the pieces of fat into the flour mixture until they are no larger than small peas.
- Dribble the water over the mixture and toss with a fork until the dough is evenly moist and begins to come together in a rough mass.
- Remove the dough to a work surface and shape into a disk.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Bring out when needed, allow to reach room temperature and on a floured surface roll out a circle a few centimetres larger then your flan dish.
- Fit into the lightly oiled dish and press into the sides leaving a small overlap.
- Prick pastry all over with a fork and brush with lightly beaten egg white.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 20 mins till golden.
- In the meantime prepare the lemon filling by grating the zest of the lemons and squeezing enough juice to give 275ml.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and whisk to combine, but don’t overdo it or the eggs will thicken.
- Add the lemon juice and zest followed by the cream and whisk lightly.
- Pour all into a 1.2 litre jug and set aside until the pastry is cooked.
- When the pastry is golden, turn down the oven to 180°C and pull out oven shelf with cooked tart and carefully pour your prepared lemon filling into the tart.
- Bake for approx 30 mins or until the tart is set and feels springy in the centre.
- Let it cool for about half and hour if you want to serve it warm.
- Dust with icing sugar just before serving with chilled crème fraîche.