Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
There is nothing better than the smell of a homemade cake baking in the oven. When it’s this easy to make there’s absolutely no excuse for having it any other way. It’s easy enough to get the kids involved, or if they are a little older, leave them to do it on their own.
ORANGE AND YOGHURT CAKE
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- ½ cup flavourless oil (I used sunflower; canola is better if you can find it)
- 200g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix together the yoghurt, eggs, vanilla extract, juice of one orange, zest of both oranges and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 50 mins until a skewer placed into the centre comes out dry.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour over the remaining orange juice, leaving a couple of tablespoons for the icing, and allow the cake to cool for in the tin for 5 mins.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with a few tablespoons of the remaining orange juice and mix into a thick paste.
- Remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack.
- Pour over the icing and allow to cool completely.