Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
This quintessential Italian dish is easy to make at home. Served with a fresh side salad it makes an easy weekday meal. If you’d rather stay away from veal, you can replicate this recipe with thinly sliced chicken breast or pork.
VEAL ESCALOPES IN LEMON AND CAPER SAUCE
- ½ cup flour
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 1 kg veal escalopes
- ½ cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, finely sliced
- ½ cup capers
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Handful parsley
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Flatten out the veal escaplopes and bash them with a meat mallet to make them as thin as possible.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and mix in the lemon zest.
- Dredge the veal through the flour, dusting off any excess, and placing on a plate.
- Heat 2 tsp butter in a pan with some olive oil.
- Fry the veal for approx. 3 mins on each side until golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the wine to the same pan, scraping off the bits from the bottom.
- Allow to simmer for a few mins until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add the stock and the lemon slices and simmer until the sauce has reduced by half (approx. 8 mins).
- Add the capers, lemon juice and parsley and cook for a few more seconds.
- Remove from the heat and replace the veal to the pan and coat with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.