Recipe by Pippa Mattei
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Afternoon tea is nothing without scones and these are so easy to prepare. Serve them with clotted cream and this easy recipe for microwave jam, which Pippa got from her friend Anna Murry Curtis – a quick and easy way to make jam that sets well and tastes delicious, given the quality of strawberries at this time of year.
- 200g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 level tsp cream of tartar
- 40g butter
- Water or milk to mix (approx ½ cup)
- Milk or beaten egg for glazing
- Pre-heat oven to 230˚C.
- Sieve all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add fat and rub into breadcrumb consistency.
- Add enough water or milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and lightly roll out to about 3cm thickness.
- Cut into 5 cm rounds with a sharp cutter, then place on a floured baking sheet and brush with either milk or a beaten egg.
- Bake scones near the top of a hot oven until just turning golden, approx. 10 mins.
- Serve warm with butter and strawberry jam and perhaps some clotted cream, fresh whipped cream or crème fraîche.
For more of Pippa Mattei’s recipes, to purchase her award-winning cook boos or to book cooking classes with her, visit her website at www.pippamattei.com