Recipe by Pippa Mattei
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Making your own jam seems like such a lengthy process. However this recipe is definitely the easiest jam recipe you’ll ever find. Pippa borrowed this from her friend Anna Murray Curtis and has been using it ever since. Make the most of any strawberries you can still find and give them a blitz in the microwave. Your winter self with thank you for it!
MICROWAVE STRAWBERRY JAM
- 500g strawberries
- 55ml lemon juice
- 400g sugar
- Wash and hull the strawberries.
- Place in a large deep microwave – proof bowl together with the lemon juice. The fruit will bubble quite rapidly so make sure there is plenty of space in the bowl or it will boil over.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 mins or until soft, but fruit still intact.
- Stir in the sugar and cook on HIGH for 20 mins or until the jam sets when tested (it wrinkles when put on a cold saucer and pushed with a fingertip). Stir once or twice when the jam is cooking.
- Allow the jam to stand for 5 mins or so before pouring into a hot sterile jar.
- Seal either right away or when jam has gone cold.
Do not be tempted to double up the amounts. When you add the sugar and start the 20 minutes boiling, the process will produce quite a lot of froth, hence the large bowl – you do not want it to boil over!
For more of Pippa Mattei’s recipes, to purchase her award-winning cook boos or to book cooking classes with her, visit her website at www.pippamattei.com