By Eunice Muscat
Photo by Eunice Muscat
This loaf makes a healthy breakfast or interesting afternoon treat. Try it with some homemade jam and a dollop of crème fraiche, or keep in vegan with coconut yoghurt.
Cardamom and strawberry loaf
- 2 cups plus 4 tbsp organic flour
- 4 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean
- 2 ½ cups strawberries (washed, hulled and halved)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cardamom
- Handful oats
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Grease a loaf tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl add 2 cups and 2 tbsp flour, baking soda, salt, turmeric and cardamom.
- Heat the coconut oil in the microwave until melted and allow to cool.
- Add the Greek yoghurt, vegetable oil, egg, vanilla and agave syrup to the coconut oil and whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy but don’t be tempted to over beat it as the bread will become tough.
- Toss the strawberries in the remaining tbsp of flour. This helps stop them sinking while cooking.
- Add the strawberries to the batter and gently mix through.
- Put the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Top with rolled oats and bake for 45 mins.
- The bread is ready when set in the middle, slightly domed, springy to touch and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for approx. 15 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with strawberry jam and crème fraiche.