Pizza is the ultimate comfort food, but too many of them and you’re never allowed to forget about it (your jeans won’t let you!). But what if we could have a healthier version? Wholemeal pizza dough, aubergines, a sprinkle of goat cheese and top with beautiful pomegranate seeds and bit of mint. Pizza without cheese is ultimately a focaccia, but call it what you will, we’ll have another slice.
Recipe by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Photo by Rachel Zammit Cutajar
Wholemeal focaccia with aubergines and goat cheese
- 500g wholemeal pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- ½ large aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 100g goat cheese
- ½ pomegranate, seeds only
- Couple sprigs mint
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut the pizza dough in half and stretch out to form two rectangles.
- Place on a slightly oiled baking sheet.
- Alternate the sliced aubergine and on top of the dough and press the veggies into the dough.
- Sprinkle the minced garlic over the top and season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake until the crust is golden around the edges and on the bottom (approx. 15 mins).
- Remove from the oven and top with goat cheese, pomegranate seeds and mint.